As much as 2020 has been what can only be described as a trash fire year, it’s also been a year that has pushed us to flex our brains over at TMHQ. And so for the first time ever, next weekend, Europe’s Toughest Mudder is going virtual. While we all know we’re going to seriously miss the IRL course what happens on the 22nd August isn’t just going to be a stand in. It’s going to be a whole new experience that gives people across the community, who never would have considered trying Europe’s Toughest, a chance to get stuck in.
Now to the important stuff. Unlike Tough Mudder courses, where we’ve witnessed Mudders decide to last minute throw on a pair of old trainers and give it a go, there is some preparation required for a 12 hour, overnight event – even if it is virtual.
The following list is everything you will require to take part in Virtual Europe’s Toughest Mudder. Book mark it, print it out, however you roll use this to prepare for the night of your life.
- 5 mile loop that starts and ends at your ‘pit’ (knowing your route will make you 37% more efficient on the night)
- Straight ‘runway’ marked out with 100 metres, 200 metres and 300 metres of distance
- Strava account (and don’t forget to join the Tough Mudder UK run club)
- Comfy but durable kit, including a good pair of trainers
- A laptop or phone so you can get involved in the Zoom Pit
- Charging station – seriously you won’t want any of your devices be that your laptop or wearable conking out on you.
- 1 roll of heavy duty tape (duct tape, gaff tape, etc.)
- 5 plastic cups, .5L
- One melon, any durable variety, 1.5-3.5 kg
- Sturdy backpack that you’re comfortable running in.
- Flat horizontal surface with a raised edge (table, cardboard box)
- 3L jug of water (or liquid of your choice)
- Access to a bed, bench or low table.
- For those at home, access to a shower or hose connection (there will be a modification for remote runners)
- 2 Tennis Balls or other similar sized rubber balls.
- Timer or stopwatch (can be on your phone)
- Nutrition and hydration of your choice (we suggest the Mississippi Tough Mudder Pie PhD Smart Bar and some Lucozade Sport as a good place to start)
- An epic playlist – check Tough Mudder out on Spotify for inspiration
Keep an eye out on your emails as more information, including access to the tracking platform, will be winging its way to you shortly.